Tuesday, January 02, 2007

2007 - A new Year!

Greetings!
Last year saw a lot of changes for me, including keeping me so busy that I barely had time to post anything.
This year, I hope to do a little better, but with a slight change.
For the last two years, I've worked as a sort of "freelance wine salesman".
I basically sold wine to you through selected retailers, and they paid me a commission on the sales I sent their way.
Since I did all of the work, and all they had to do was place your order, they accepted a lower-than-standard margin on your purchase.
That meant that everyone won.
YOU got a lower price.
THEY got free business.
I got paid!

Here comes the change for 2007:
I can no longer accept payment from retailers for the business I send their way, so here's the new procedure:
I'll send out my regular e-mails informing you about wines that I recommend, and telling you a price you SHOULD be able to pay at any retailer that does not already stock the wine I'm telling you about.*
This price will be an even lower price than I could get you before, because no one is paying me a commission on the sale.
The only downside is that you need to contact your favorite retailer directly to negotiate the price. (It should be as easy as taking them a copy of my e-mail and asking them to order your wine at the price mentioned, or forwarding my e-mail with instructions on which wines to order.)
If you have ANY problem ( in the Houston area) getting the price I'm quoting, just let me know, and I can steer you toward a more reasonable retailer.
Once again, everybody wins!
YOU get a lower price.
THEY get free money.
I get loyal customers who will pay me even lower prices once I get my own store open. (That's years away, but it's still the plan).

In the past, I never mentioned the wines I didn't recommend, but for the short term, I hope to post all of my tasting notes on this site, and my recommended wines in the weekly e-mail.
This should give you a better opportunity to compare notes with me, and see how our tastes differ.

DISCOUNTS - In this business, volume discounts abound. There are frequently deals to be made on multiple case orders. Don't be afraid to ask your favorite retailer if they can match a price found elswhere, if you're purchasing multiple cases. Of course, sometimes "elsewhere" is purchasing huge amounts of the wine in question and getting huge discounts, so don't hold it against your retailer if they are unable to match a lower price.

* I specifically mention wines that are not carried by the retailer, because if they've invested the money and shelf space for a wine I mention, it's only reasonable that they get the higher margin for their risk. Of course, it can't hurt to ask, but please don't hold it against them if they decline on that particular wine.

I hope to start posting my tasting notes within 48 hours, including many wines that are still available, but tasted a while back.

As always, thanks for your time, and enjoy your wine!
Cheers,
Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home