Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Punt Road

Jan 23 – Punt Road - Australia
www.puntroadwines.com.au

Impressive!
I’m surprised at how reasonable these wines turned out to be, but you’ll have to look around to find the best deal, because there are a number of discounts/incentives available for these wines.
I was told that they typically retail for right around $22, but with no discounts being applied, you can expect to pay $24 with the “low margin” from friendly retailers.
Not to worry, that’s still a bargain! (Of course, I had no idea what the prices were before I tried them)
Here’s what I tried:

2004 Pinot Gris – Fleshy, fruity nose. Acidic, but with mellow fruit. Honeysuckle and tropical fruit flavors. Great balance! This wine is ideal for shellfish! I would be happy paying up to $40 for this wine.

2004 Chardonnay – Light toast and marshmallow aromas. A little uneven, with the acidity cutting in flavors that are usually found in full-bodied wines. I guess it’s like a full-bodied Meursault. It definitely grows on you! I’d gladly pay up to $34 for this wine.

2004 Pinot Noir – Lean, red fruit nose. Juicy and acidic with lite, crisp, pure Pinot flavor. Very nice. $36?

2003 Shiraz – Deep, juicy aromas. The palate has deep, dark berry and tobacco flavors with just a hint of cedar. It has some real depth, but it’s understated and silky. This screams for a coffee encrusted venison loin. Doesn’t Café Annie do something like that? The acidity really lends itself to complement food! I couldn’t quite put me finger on a price, but I wrote down <$40.

2003 Cab Sauv – Dust, earth and dark fruit on the nose. Wow! Big, dark fruit flavor explodes from the glass. Notes of leather, Blackberry and black cherry. Like the Shiraz, also silky and feminine. Very nice! I’d be happy paying up to $60 for this wine!

Just a reminder…
I tasted these wines from freshly opened bottles.
I’m as generous as possible when assessing wines for price, and try to leave my personal biases at the door.
These are just my opinions, so bear that in mind when comparing my tasting notes to yours, and remember about bottle variation and oxidation from open or decanted bottles.
Cheers,
Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home